So my biggest issues right now are:
1) What do I do with the intro level? My current plan is to leave it as is and let the scene with X at the end play as is, but if I could make it appear that Zero is moving as fast as he can to save X, I want to. What would you like to see?
2) To prevent Zero, since he is pre-saber here, from being simply a pallette-swapped X, what things can I add/change to make it a truly unique experience from the original X game? Faster and/or longer dash, higher jump, stronger buster, special abilities, capsules, dialogue, etc...
2a) Along with this, any spriters who can hook me up with a full sprite set for Zero's X1 design as I am not an artist in any way.
3) To stay within established canon, Zero has to lose at the first Sigma Fortress stage, however I would like to offer an "alternate timeline" option where he plays through all the Fortress stages and defeats Sigma himself but I don't know how doable or worthwhile that would be.
Finally, let me say that while I have faith in my ability to do this, I have very little time to devote to this and I have no timeline for how soon it could be finished but with your motivation and help, I hope to make it a reality and also possibly build some relationships that can assist with my next project.
EDIT: I'll lay out a project outline for everyone here.
1. Make Zero fully playable (In the interest of saving me a ton of extra work, I may work concurrently on making Vile playable here)
2. Balance Zero's abilities against armored X's (this is where changes to Zero's gameplay would happen, jump height, dash speed, et all)
3. Adjust intro level to fit canon according to Zero's perspective (Zero rushing to X's aid) with cutscene in appropriate place
4. Adjust Sigma Fortress to fit canon (Zero going ahead of X, meeting and being captured by Vile) with cutscene in appropriate place
[End of Playable Zero in X1 Project] (Any steps that follow are not set in stone and based on doability and viability)
5. Vile Mode
6. Give Zero his trademark saber (most likely X3 version but I will see about giving him his triple-slash a la X4/Xtreme 2, I figure if the GBC could do it...)
7. "Alternate Timeline" mode (wherein Zero plays through the whole game and defeats Vile and Sigma himself)
8. Ultimate Armor Zero (will need assistance with sprites, abilities, etc...)
9. Any additional features that I think I can reasonably add
So I am not going to say "guarantee" because that's a tough word, but the plan is to successfully implement the first 4 steps listed above. 5-9 would be in the Ultimate Edition and I'm not making any promises. I suppose if anyone is up to the challenge, I could make the Ultimate Edition a team effort and delegate some of the work out to anyone willing to assist so I'm not going alone. My biggest concern with steps 5-9 is the time spent doing those things, I might as well be making my own original work if I'm going to put that much effort into it, since I do have at least two ideas that I would like to begin work on someday.
This post has been edited by Noble 6: 17 May 2011 - 09:04 PM